Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Once bitten, twice shy

A couple of weeks ago we went to a baby blessing. After sacrament meeting, we went to our friends' house for some delicious food and so that I could practice holding a newborn again and try to make myself believe I can handle three kids three years old and under. Our friend's have this great play area outside so, most of the time, that's where everyone was. I was trying to be helpful and hide from my kids so (luckily) I stayed indoors most of the time to help out when needed. I was outside maybe 30 minutes. Wanna know what I saw the next morning?

Yep. Mosquito bites. 21 mosquito bites from my knees down! This picture shows 9 all within inches of each other. (And go ahead with all your pasty white jokes....trust me, I've heard it all from Shane.)

My right leg got the worst of it, but my left was definitely still attacked.

I've had mosquito bites before (obviously) but never this bad. It seriously got to the point where it would wake me up in the middle of the night because Shane's leg would brush mine or the sheets would touch it. I would be up for HOURS because it itched SO. BADLY. After the 3rd night of that, I researched some natural home remedy ideas online (it was 2 AM and I wasn't in the mood to run to the store). The general consensus seemed to be baking soda mixed with water to form a paste.

It did help to relieve the itch....for a while. I tried putting band-aids on the bites so that I could go to bed without getting the paste all over. Well, in this one spot, there wasn't a band-aid big enough in the world. So, I got out the first aid kit, wrapped it with some gauze.....and realized that the gauze is flimsy and would fall off in seconds. So, being the creative genius that I am, this was my solution to keep the gauze on:

The tape on my foot didn't last 5 minutes before it started coming off, so I quickly took care of that....

My calves look huge and my ankles look tiny......I hope that's not really how my calves look.

Anyway, Lexi woke up about an hour later and decided she was done sleeping for the night (at 3 AM). I checked and the paste was all dry and nasty, so I decided to wipe it off and see what happened. Well, it came off easily enough, but touching it with the cloth brought the itch back full force. I googled some more and tried Aloe Vera gel instead. Holy hannah montana it was amazing! It dried quickly so I didn't need to look like a mummy going to bed and it didn't itch again for a full 24 hours!!
Can you see all the aloe? I may have slathered it on a bit thick that first night.... :)

Anyway, it has now been over two weeks and the bites are almost gone! The itching has stopped on it's own and I can shave my legs again! :) Shane, Kaden and Lexi were outside almost two hours at the same event I was and NONE of them got ANY bites. I complained asked my midwife why I got so many bites when no one else was touched. She said that pregnant women have a lot more blood pumping through them so I would be like a freakin' beacon for all mosquito's in Utah. Great. Just as summer is coming around. I was pregnant all summer with Kaden and never got more than one bite at a time. Not sure what that means about this baby....

So that's my mosquito story. Feel free to leave sympathetic comments. All Shane said was, "Oh stop complaining. You're fine."

3 comments:

Emily Hurtado said...

My sympathetic comment: I'm sorry you're as pasty as I am. The other day Jared asked Halle, "what color are mommy's legs", she said "White", then he asked Halle, "what color are your legs", she said "Brown." How sweet.

The Porter Family said...

lol That's awesome. At least your kids have a 50/50 shot of having gorgeous skin....mine are screwed. Although Shane tans really well, so hopefully they at least get that gene. :)

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Whoo, ouch. I can't believe you got so many bites. At least I know to sit next to you if we are ever outdoors and there are lots of mosquitoes... because apparently they will be too busy eating you to ever see me. It's weird, we haven't had any problems since then. Maybe they are still full.

About Our Family