Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Busy weekend!

I can tell summer is approaching. Not because of the weather, since it's been SNOWING, but because we are getting CRAZY busy on the weekends. This past Friday, we went to the Olive Garden with Shane's family to celebrate Shane's 27th birthday and his mom's birthday (I'm not allowed to say her age, but I do know it). ;) Saturday morning every single member of my family that lives in Utah came to my house for a surprise 50th birthday party for my mom, Denise, and her twin sister, Debbie. About four months ago, I arranged it with Debbie for her to come into town (I had to tell her that early so she could get work off....of all 3 million jobs she has) and surprise my mom. She got in on Thursday and then the sort-of-surprise party was Saturday. The twins knew there would be a party (we were planning it since last year), but they thought it was just my siblings and I, so they tried to turn it around on us and spray-dyed their hair gray and wore old lady clothes. But the joke was on them! My mom was SHOCKED when she walked in my house and saw everyone in our family there! Her face was so red. :D

This was just after they had walked in. My sister got the best pictures since I was stuck in the kitchen and running around like a pregnant chicken with it's head cut off.

I told my mom and Debbie to go look at a picture on the wall under their "over the hill" sign....

I think they liked it. :) I called my grandpa and got some old pictures of the twins. This is what they saw in the frame on the wall:
The top left picture is when they were 6 months old, then the one on the top right is when they were 16ish with their dad, and the bottom one is from Thursday when Debbie surprised my mom by coming for a visit. My sister used her awesome photoshop powers and combined them all onto one page. They both got an 8x10 framed copy of it and LOVED it. :) (If you are wondering, Debbie is the one always on the left in every picture. I made my little brother make sure Debbie was on the left for the current picture so that it would all coordinate.)

People brought gag gifts. :)

This is my cousin, Lance. I think he will become a permanent fixture in our house for as long as we have the massage chair. :) His birthday is in August, so I told his mom to get him a massage chair. haha

And this is my cutie patootie niece, Taliyah. :)

After the party, I passed out for an hour (it's amazing how much energy a pregnant woman DOESN'T have). Then we went to the Golden Spike Arena with some friends for a Demolition Derby. I was super scared that Kaden and Lexi would freak out because a) it's so loud and b) the cars crash. It was absolutely freezing, but not raining. Yay!
Kaden was confused at first. Not scared by the loud cars, though, just confused why everyone was cheering at car crashes.

This was at the end of the first heat. They were all the newbies, so it got more exciting aggressive as the evening went on.

Kaden LOVED it. I mean LOVED it!! Even though it kept getting colder and colder (the wind wasn't helping), Kaden didn't want to leave. I kept asking him, "Do you want to go home?" His response? "No home! More cars crash please?"

Lexi being cuddled and fed kettle corn. :)

Our friends said that they have never seen a truck round before, but there were two when we went. Kaden loved watching the "MONSTER trucks!" hahaha These guys were stuck together like this foreva.

Staying warm....well, trying to anyway. Lexi was enthralled by it all, too. She would sleep in between heats, then pry her little eyes open so she wouldn't miss the crashing. :) That's my girl.

Loving every minute. :) Lexi eventually crashed right before the big finale. I thought Kaden would be out on the drive home (it was about 10:30 by this point), but nope! The entire way home he was talking about the cars and trucks crash, crash, CRASHING! He woke up the next morning and first thing he did was go to the door and say, "Socks, shoes, see cars crash?" I love that he is old enough to really enjoy things now. :)

After church (and nap time) on Sunday, we went to my mom's house for dinner and cake/ice cream for all of the May birthday's in our family (6...just on my side...there are another 5 on Shane's side...holy moly people! What is it with May?!). Anyway, it was fun and we got to see my aunt again before she leaves on Tuesday (today). Lexi crawled under my mom's glass coffee table and couldn't figure out for the life of her why she couldn't stand up under there and get out. While everyone else was laughing and taking pictures, my mom got her out. :) Such a good grandma.


P.S. When Kaden saw the current picture of my mom and Debbie together, I asked him which one is grandma. He looked for a second, then looked at me and gasped, "TWO grandmas!!" LOL Debbie was called "grandma" more than once this last weekend and she loved it every time. :)

4 comments:

Mackenzie Bailey said...

Holy cow that was a busy weekend! I hope your recovered from your awesome party planning. Your 'moms' are so darn cute. It makes me wish I had a twin too;)

Lindsey and Mike Sorensen said...

I'm soooo jealous you got to go to a demolition derby!!! Those are my favorite!

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Good job on the surprise party. That is so cool that you did that for your mom and aunt. The derby looked fun. I'm sure Kaden loved it. I love the story about the glass table and Lexi. Poor kid. hehe Hey I'm thinking about going to the dinosaur park soon. Maybe we can go together.

Ludlows said...

What a wonderful surprise for your mom! I was at the demolition derby too but sitting on the other side (diagonal from you)! What a small world. Your kids are so cute!

About Our Family