Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Not happening again...

I am now 36 weeks along! So, Alexandria would be scheduled to come next Friday if she comes exactly as early as Kaden. Ahhh! I had a doctor's appt. today and was "checked." The doc said that not much is happening, which is kind of good for me right now. I told her (the doc) that I can't have this baby for another week so that I can finish finals. She laughed and told me I should focus on relaxing more, then. :) I have been thinking a lot lately about when Kaden was a newborn and remembered some 1st time mommy mistakes that I won't be making again:
I will not:
~spend the first week home from the hospital sleeping with Alex on the couch thinking that if I don't, she will die. I actually didn't really sleep.....but Kaden did!
~have the monitor base literally right next to Alex's face with the monitor on when she is in the bassinet, a foot away from my bed.
~feel guilty for using binkys (if she will take them). The nurses at the hospital gave Kaden a whole bunch on our last day there and he has been hooked ever since (which is SO nice most of the time), but other people told me that you are not supposed to start the binky stage until after at least a month. Whatever! I am the mom and I know best. :)
~take Alex EVERYWHERE with me. She will survive for 2 minutes in her bassinet or swing while I go to the bathroom. I would seriously bring Kaden in the bathroom and set him on the floor at 2AM because I was worried he would gag and die and Shane wouldn't hear him.
~do dishes, laundry, or vaccuuming one handed. Alex will not die from sitting in her swing while I get things around the house done.
I think that was my main mistake: thinking that at any point Kaden was going to drop dead because I wasn't holding him. Good intentions, but a lot more lost sleep than needed to be. I will try and keep everyone updated as the time draws nearer. I have taken 2 finals and only 3 more to go! Then, I can properly update this blog with cute Kaden pictures. Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow everyone!

2 comments:

Blake and Rachele Burtenshaw said...

You definitely learn things as you go. With my second there were so many things that I didn't even bother doing because I know they wouldn't work or I didn't like the results. Every child is different and we learn from each of them. Good luck with the baby, and finals and have a happy Thanksgiving.

Jorgensen Bunch said...

You are so funny! I remember you doing those things and I kept thinking of hwo it reminded me of having Shawn. It's so crazy how it changes with each kid. I hope you have her soon! And don't worry, my doc told me that with the second kid you usually don't do anything until you're in full blown labor and then it all progresses very quickly. So don't stress if you're not dialating before the labor!

About Our Family