Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Rapping

In my Wednesday evening lyric writing class we always have a "themed" song that we're required to write. 
(Like, a couple of weeks ago was blues, then folk, tonight was pop songs, you get the idea...)

Anyway, tonight the teacher said that next week was country (YAY!!!  And, yes, I actually cheered....and I was the only one since the rest of them are heavy metal guys) and someone asked what genre we would be doing the following week after that.

The teacher said, "Rap."
(And I nearly died of dread...)
Everyone immediately casually glanced at the one black guy in the class and he goes, "Oh, so y'all just automatically look at the black guy, huh?  I see how it is."
(He was joking, if you couldn't tell.)

After class the black guy (I feel really bad that I don't know any of the boys' names in the class, but I know all of the girls) was reading a book and I glanced at it and saw that it was written about Jay-Z.

Me, being the super white girl, asked, "So....he raps, right?"

The black guy literally smacked his head and was just laughing at me.

I was laughing at myself and told him that he will never meet another girl as truly white as me.  
He was still laughing and sang/rapped a couple of Jay-Z's songs to me (thinking I would recognize them once I heard them....I didn't).

I'm kind of freaking out about having to write a rap song.

When I think of rap, this is what immediately comes to mind:

Yes, I have that memorized, and, YES, my class is in for a real treat when it comes my turn to rap.  ;)

2 comments:

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Haha, Can I come?? Lets see, what rap do I know... Mormon rap, ummm, yah.

Suzanna said...

I want to hear your rap song!!! How did it turn out??

About Our Family