Friday, July 17, 2009

Cheap-o

There's one in every relationship. Someone is the spender (ME!) and someone is the saver (SO Shane). Unfortunately, Shane has rubbed off on me a bit in the last 4 1/2 years and I am an awesome bargain shopper! So, I still get to spend my little heart out, but I get a lot more by being cheap thrifty. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Thrifty Decor Chick (check her out here) and this project was inspired by something she did. She did it to a wall board thingy and I did it to picture frames! (M, if you are reading this, PLEASE don't hate me for being cheap with Halle's presents! It's Shane's fault!) I saw these frames at Macey's (grocery store-not department store) on sale for $0.89. Yup-it was like a 75% discount!!
I bought two. They started out like this:

Not too bad, but I knew I could do better.

I went and bought some scrapbook paper (also on sale for $0.16/sheet-score!). Put that together with some Mod Podge (I have never used it before, but I hope I did it right), hot glue, and foam sticky stuff that makes letters (or whatever) pop up a bit (I am so technical...I know, I know) and you get these personalized beauties:

Oh, also, I had my aunt's Cricut machine (which I am in love with and told her she will be lucky to get it back) which is how I did the letters for the Mickey Mouse stuff and Halle's name. I couldn't stand being THAT cheap for birthday presents, though, so I ended up getting some earrings for her as well (which were also on sale, so I still felt cheap), so I also made some bows! Yay for smart shopping!!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I love Thrifty Decor Chick. I actually just picked up some fun projects at a garage sale today that I am going to spray paint. Glad someone else likes to decorate on the cheap.

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Look at you getting all crafty. :) Good job, they turned out great! As you know I am the cheapo in my marriage so I have no problem with it.

About Our Family