Monday, August 31, 2009

Anyone have an extra rabbit's foot?

My bad luck started last Wednesday. I should have just realized it was a bad omen. My closest guy friend, Brent (Shane is my closest MAN friend) ;), got married this past Saturday. I remembered 3 days before the wedding that Shane and my temple recommends were expired, which isn't enough time to get in the meetings with the bishop and stake president. So, we missed Brent's sealing. The reception was down in Saratoga Springs (about an hour away). We decided to go down early to take Kaden (and his friend Halle) to the Thanksgiving Point animal petting zoo place. (Pictures to come later....for now, I am venting...haha). Well, what should have been a 45 minute drive (tops!) turned into a 2 HOUR drive because some stupid truck driver decided to veer off his predetermined course and hadn't measured his load properly, which resulted in the thing he was hauling getting wedged under an overpass. It was on the other side of the freeway from us, but of course the stupid Utah drivers all had to rubberneck. Then, when we were about 10 minutes away from the freeway exit, there was a sign that said, "Accident 7 miles ahead. Major delays." I thought, "Good thing our exit is before that!" And about two seconds later we were stopped in the worst traffic jam of our lives. What should have been 10 minutes took us 45. This time a Wal-Mart semi had somehow flipped on it's side and was blocking all 3 lanes of traffic....on the other side. BUT of course the stupid Utah drivers had to rubberneck (no one was hurt, no big deal, blah, blah, get over it people!). We finally got to our friend's house and went to the animal farm thing where Kaden rode his first horse ever! (again-pictures later) We went back to our friend's house and ate yummy spaghetti, then left 5 minutes late to get to the ring ceremony. Mapquest said that the church where the reception was was about 18 minutes away. Not only did we get lost, but we ran across ANOTHER accident on the way (yet again-not blocking traffic at all, but stupid rubberneckers). So we were about 10 minutes late to the ring ceremony. When we did get there, Brent was right in the middle of saying his vows. We tried to sneak in the back, but right at that moment, Kaden decided to have a complete. melt. down. that we wouldn't give him any of the Ginger Ale (they had it in cups for toasting after the vows). And to make it even better, he started screaming right by the videographer! Towards the end of the ring ceremony, Lexi decided to put in her two cents and filled her diaper with so much stink I think they ended it early just to leave the room. When I was changing her diaper a few minutes later, the video guy walked by me, chuckling. I apologized for Kaden's screaming and asked if he can edit it out. He laughed and said, "Oh yeah. That was nothing. I have heard much worse." Liar

*You think it's over? Not even close....keep reading*

The reception starts and I have two kids with clean diapers now. Sweet! Shane went to go get the delicious food while I showed off our two kids to Brent's mom. :) We talked to the giddy couple for a bit, then sat down to enjoy our treats. (Brent swore he never heard Kaden yelling while he was saying his vows.....thank goodness for the euphoria that accompanies a wedding day, right?) Kaden saw some Japanese lanterns hanging in the middle of the room and kept yelling, "BALL!! BALL!! BALL!!" We kept telling him he couldn't have the ball, but he was fine after we filled his sippy with yet more Ginger Ale. I went to go get Shane and I some drinks. It was delicious red punch....and it lasted all of 2 seconds in front of Lexi. Shane didn't see me set his drink down in front of him (his eye disease, remember?), but I thought he had. He was holding Lexi, she leaned forward, and WHOOSH....Shane and Lexi's white shirts turned a very pretty pink. It was all. over. the floor.....and table.....and chair. I started laughing because, by this point, what else can you do? Shane took off to the bathroom to fix his shirt and get paper towels for everything else. Brent happened to be standing nearby and he saw the mess. He came over and helped clean everything up (despite my numerous protests that he make his best man do this so that he could get back to being the center of attention). Shane got back and while the men cleaned up, I went and put Lexi in her p.j.'s. (Sooooo glad I had brought them!) After that, Shane and I both agreed we were DONE. We apologized yet again to Brent and his new wife (they couldn't have cared less.......totally thinking about something else, but what? haha). We headed back to our friend's house (the Hurtado's) and hung out for a bit. It was so nice to just relax and not worry about rubberneckers or Ginger Ale or red punch. And bonus- Lexi LOVES Halle!! Around 10ish we decided to head home. The Wal-Mart truck wasn't cleaned up yet, but it was out of the way and no one cared anymore. We cruised home and around 15 minutes away from our home, saw a sign on the freeway that said, "Construction 7 miles ahead. MAJOR delays." Shane and I looked at each other and didn't even have to pause to think about it. Luckily the next exit was for a highway that goes towards our home, so we quickly took that. BUT, just to end the day properly, there was construction the. whole. way. on that. PLUS another accident!! (I so wish I was making this up.) We finally got home, put the kids to bed, checked some Facebook stuff, and went to bed!

Next time I am going to hunt up some four leaf clovers before I go on a long drive.


3 comments:

Silvia and Steven said...

Oh WOW!! You are right it is a great thing that the bride & groom weren't worrying about anything but their "happy day" :O)

Well like I always say hopefully since you had a bad day you wont have one for quite a while fingers crossed.

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Remind my not to ride with you. :) I think I would have gone crazy with the traffic problems. That is definitely a day for the books... or the blog.

Suzanna said...

We passed the same Wal-Mart truck! Only we were on the same side it was on. Bad skid marks...looked like the driver lost control or someone cut him off or something, then it hit the center barrier, skid marks on the barrier and must've flipped after that. They were loading the contents into a different Wal-Mart semi when we passed. They were only blocking one lane of traffic by then and it made us about an hour late to where we were going! Yes, don't like the rubberneckers!!

About Our Family