Monday, January 10, 2011

Random

I've been really busy lately with decrapifying my house, reading The Hunger Games series, and getting the house ready for some remodeling work we have in mind, so I apologize for my lack in blogging.

I have been thinking about it, though, and have a couple of random-totally-not-even-related stories to share.  :D

To start us off, I'm going back in time to December 2010.  Sooooo long ago, I know.  Shane's company (at the time) had their Christmas work party and we went to the Jazz game.  I talked about that here.  What I didn't mention, however, was a conversation that happened at the dinner before the game.

We were at a table with a bunch of "higher ups" and one happened to be Shane's manager, Cory.  Since his first day on the job, Shane has had absolutely nothing but praise for this man.  I'm not joking when I say that Shane told me Cory is hands down the nicest person he has ever met.

Thanks a lot, hon.
(Totally kidding)

Anyway, Shane would come home telling me all these amazing things Cory does and he really just seemed like a genuinely nice guy.  I was excited to meet him and he was nothing like I'd pictured.  The biggest thing was: he was SINGLE.  If this 35 year old Mormon guy is supposedly so fantastic, why on earth is he still single??  And WHY had Shane not mentioned it to me....EVER?
So, we're at dinner sitting next to Cory (who, P.S., really is SUCH a nice guy) and I see that he is the only one at the table without a spouse/girlfriend/lover beside him.  I asked where his wife or girlfriend was and that's when he told me that he's single.  I was shocked, but started joking with him that he should have let Shane know so we could fix him up for the game tonight.  Cory started laughing and tried to change the subject to someone else at the table.  (Oh, and another P.S., when we sat down I told Cory I'd heard great things about him and Shane jumped in with, "Yeah, I told her you're the nicest guy I've ever met."  Cory was really humble about it and tried to brush it off, but immediately, every. other. person. at that table joined in with "He's got that right" and "You'll never meet anyone better".  Everyone loves this guy.)

So, anyway, everyone started talking about their kids (everyone else's kids were older than ours and I tried to get some advice....the only thing I got was "it only gets harder."  Gee...thanks).  After a while, Shane noticed Cory had gone silent and was probably feeling a bit left out.  Shane made a comment to Cory...something sarcastic like "kids are so much fun to talk about, right?"  Cory laughed it off and said he didn't mind at all.  I took this moment, though, to say loud enough for everyone at the table to hear, "Oh SORRY Cory!  We didn't mean to leave you out!   We can go back to talking about getting you a date."  

ALL of the other women at the table started saying that he should have told them to fix him up and they could have.  Cory got so beet red it was HILARIOUS.  He was nervously laughing and saying he would love to talk about our kids some more.  hahahaha

I'm so awesome.

That's story #1.  The story of Cory.  (HAHA  I love rhyming!)
Shane has forbidden me from setting him up (lame), but I don't really know many single girls left anyway, so the jokes on him. 

Story #2 (if you're still with me here):

Kaden and Lexi have never really watched The Little Mermaid.  I turned it on for them once a few months back, but they couldn't care less about it so I turned it back off.  A couple of days ago, I decided to try the Disney classic again and got much better results.  They were glued to the TV.  I sat down to watch it with them (yes, seriously....I love me some Disney). 

Well, you know the opening musical number "We are the Daughters of Triton"?

I had a total freaking out mom moment.

My first of many, I'm sure.

I wasn't expecting it and I've seen this movie more times than I can count, but when I saw this:


The freak out started.

This is what I suddenly started thinking, "OH MY GOSH! PUT SOME CLOTHES ON!!  MY 3 YEAR OLD DOESN'T NEED TOO SEE CLEAVAGE!!"

I kept looking at Kaden to see what he was thinking, but he was happily watching.

Typical man.

Even Ariel is far from modest.  I had to sit there and continually remind myself that I grew up watching this movie and turned out okay.  I wasn't emotionally scarred from seeing cartoon cleavage and I really hope my kids won't be, either.

Then I realized,
"Holy crap.  If I can't even handle cartoon cleavage, how on earth am I going to handle it when my kids get into the real world and see much, much worse than that?"

The thought of homeschooling them and locking them forever away with me may or may not have crossed my mind.

Why do kids have to grow up?

4 comments:

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

I know a beautiful hygienist I can set Cory up with. :) Well, if he is like 6 ft anyways. My sister is tall.

I know what you mean about watching movies you grew up on only to realize as an adult that there is a lot of "stuff". Both Scott and I have bought movies we liked when we were younger only to watch them and go, "Wow, I didn't remember that part."

PS: Tell Shane I got a new adapter and my external hard drive is working again. YEAH!

The Porter Family said...

He was shorter than me. (Probably around 5'7" or so) :( That was the only thing I could find wrong with him....not that it matters to me, though, since I'm always on the lookout for new husbands. hahaha
Glad it's working! I will let Shane know and I'm sure he will understand more of it than I did. lol

Emily Hurtado said...

I have an AWESOME friend who is pretty short. She just turned 30. She'll be at the blessing and you can meet her to see if she'd be a good fit. You probably met her at our wedding, her name is Tricia. Her situation sounds a lot like Cory's, she's the most amazing nicest person ever and we just do not understand why she is single. She's an elementary teacher.

The Boehme Family said...

My bestest friend just got divorced and needs a very nice new husband. Send him to Alaska - what guy could refuse that? She loves computer nerds, she just divorced one - oh, maybe she needs to try out something new. Anyway, I am looking for a husband for her. She is 33. She's the redhead Tiffany who is always on my blog. 5'7, THIN, and beautiful.

About Our Family