Saturday, April 23, 2011

Not it!

I am so very, very glad to be writing this post right now.  I thought I'd be writing a VERY different post a month ago, so I'm just happy as can be.  Wanna know why?

A month ago, Shane and I thought I was pregnant. 

Uh, yeah.  For reals.

Here's the short(ish) version of what happened:
I had some very light spotting two weeks after my period ended.  Since I started having periods when I was 12, that has NEVER, EVER happened, so I was concerned.  I called the doctor's office and a nurse told me it was most likely implantation spotting....oh, or it could be stress.  

Her: "Are you stressed more than normal right now?"

Me: "WELL I AM NOW!"

Anyway, I was planning my little sister's wedding and the day of the wedding, I was certain I was pregnant.  THANKFULLY, I finally started last week (a week LATE-which also never happens, but better late than never!).  I guess I was just crazy stressed from playing wedding planner for my sister.  *WHEW!*

The good news is this:  When I told Shane it might be implantation spotting, he laughed.  We both just started laughing.  What else can you do, right?  
We talked very seriously about it and I thought about it a LOT.  I knew if I didn't have to nurse, I could handle it.  Not nursing Ari has been one of the best decisions of my life.

BUT, I couldn't imagine our family with another child.  I tried to fit someone else in and it just didn't feel right.  I knew we could if needed, but Ari really does feel like my last.  The day I started was also a wake up call for me that Shane needs to hold up his end of the bargain and go get fixed.  I called while he was at work and made him a pre-op appt as well as a surgery date.  When I told the receptionist my story of having my tubes tied twice, she said, "Oh, well, it's definitely his turn."

Amen, sista, amen.

So, this last Thursday, Shane got fixed!!
Someone at work told him it feels like being kicked in the junk.  
Really hard.

I've tried to feel bad for him.  I really have.  But as he lounges around with his ice pack, playing Angry Birds and eating Skittles, I remember my last tubal and how it felt like I'd literally been hit by a bus for a week after.  I was in so much pain I wanted to puke.  So, as much as I know he's hurting (slightly), I'm having a really hard time saying, "Oh you poor thing!"  Y'know?

So, yeah.  That's my news!   I'm NOT pregnant (how many times have I written that?  Um, never!) and Shane finally got fixed!  YAY!

The doc told him it will take a certain number of, um, times before his little swimmers all get out (I guess his body stores them?) and to come back in three months for a follow-up so they can make sure all the swimmers are gone.  Shane heard the number of times and said, "Oh, we won't need THREE months for that."  I'm really glad I wasn't in the room.

Happy Easter!!

3 comments:

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Oh Loretta, only you. I don't think I would have even been surprised if you really were pregnant... but I'm glad your not. Four kids in four years would be CRAZY. Haha about Shane's comment at the doctor. How did the doctor respond. :)

The Porter Family said...

I'm glad I'm not, too. :) The doc just chuckled and said something like, "We'll give you three months anyway."

Emily Hurtado said...

UH...congrats? Now I'm curious to know "the number of times"...but at the same time I really don't want to know. Ya know?

About Our Family