Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Breaks my heart

This happened a couple (few?) weeks ago, but it's been on my mind a lot the last couple of days, so I've felt the need to share.  Or at least get it out to help get it off my mind.

Kaden was asking me where his friend, Liz, lives and I told him Syracuse.  He asked if she was the only person who lived in Syracuse.  I laughed and told him, "No, there are a lot of people who live there.  Like Grandpa Currie."

Kaden, "Who's that?"  
(He knows who my dad is, he was just trying to ask how he's related to our family.)

Me, "Grandpa Currie is my dad."

Kaden, "Oh." (Thinking for a minute) "But what about your mom? Does she live in Syracuse?"
(Enter my heart cracking)

Me, "No, Grandma Denise lives in North Salt Lake."

Kaden thought about this for a few minutes before saying, "But who do they live with?"

Me, "Heidi and Kent."

Kaden thinks some more before continuing, "But your mom and dad don't live together?"
(heart breaking a little more)

Me, "No, buddy, they don't."

Kaden got extremely worried and said, "But my mom and dad have to live together!"
(and here is where my heart just shattered)

I reassured him the best that I could that his dad and I will always live together.  He hasn't brought it up since, but that was always the conversation that I dreaded having with my kids.  I grew up with four sets of grandparents and that was normal - I just didn't want that for my kids, y'know?

I try to not talk about family drama a lot on here, because that's not what I want to focus my free time on.  However, I know that someday another tough conversation will come up with my kids as well about why Shane's parents don't go to church.  I've been trying to come up with a good answer for the last few years.  I figure right now we'll just do the best we can to build their testimonies so that it will be easier when the time comes. 

2 comments:

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

It is sad when we have to let kids know that life is not picture perfect like the movies. I would just say be honest with them. I would also try not to be too critical of other family members in front of the kids because we (including our kids) all go through a lot of trials in this life. Everyone just has a different trial or different weakness. Life is not perfect or easy for anyone.

Angel said...

I totally feel for you on this one! It breaks my heart reading it and thinking of my parents too. UG. hugs.

About Our Family