Sunday, February 15, 2009

The stroke of midnight

I hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day! Shane and I (thanks to my awesome mom) got to go on our first date without kids in a year and a half. My mom bought us tickets to the Vienna Ball at the U. Every year the Salt Lake Symphony (which she plays in) does a fundraiser for their upcoming year and they host this ball. They feed you a nice, delicious dinner while the Symphony plays and the BYU ballroom dancers perform. Then, they open up the floor for everyone to dance in between the BYU dancers! It was GREAT! I have taken a lot of ballroom dancing lessons in my day so I was completely looking forward to this for the last two months. I bought a formal dress and got to get my hair done. It was a nice day of pampering that I really enjoyed. While we were there, my mom took us to the "green room" where the symphony goes on their breaks from playing. When we walked in the room, the BYU dancers were also there! I think I was a bit star struck (they are the only good thing that comes from BYU...haha). I wanted Shane to learn how to do a basic waltz box step so we could get out on the dance floor with everyone else. My mom told me to ask one of the BYU dancers. I very seriously considered it, but told myself they were eating and not to bug them (they really were eating, but I just plain chickened out-I am a loser...I know). SO, my mom asked a guy who plays percussion for the symphony (I think his name was Zeph? I know it was different and I just called him Z) who knows how to dance to come teach Shane the basics. Z came over and asked Shane how much he knew about waltzing. Shane said, "I know you put your arms up." It was hysterical! Z taught him the basic step, then Shane and my mom suggested that Z dance with me to show Shane how it looks a bit faster and not just in a square. Z was TALL (at least 6'4", maybe more), but luckily I could still reach his shoulders to hang onto. Z was a very good dancer and my dancing moves weren't too rusty so I didn't think I was a total embarrassment. BUT at one point during our short dance I happened to glance out of the corner of my eye at the other people and almost EVERYONE on the BYU team was staring at us!! I felt so dumb and tried to remember that I will never see any of these people again, so it doesn't matter if they see my amateur moves compared to theirs. Anyway, it was SO fun! I absolutely LOVE ballroom dancing!! Shane did end up trying his new dance moves on the floor and did pretty well. I am so proud of him for even trying! The ball went from 8:00-midnight (like any proper ball does...), but we left a little early to rescue our babysitters. :D Kelly and Scott were total angels and gave up their Valentine's Day to babysit for us! I honestly can't thank them enough and we owe them big time!! Here are some fun pics and movies of the BYU team...if you have never seen them, they are awesome!
We never really got a good shot of my hair, but (35 bobby pins later) I thought it looked nice. :D

YUMMY!! Food that I don't have to cook!

This was the lead couple for the BYU dancers...they were very good!



These two were awesome!

4 comments:

Emily Hurtado said...

That is so great you were able to go out for Valentine's Day. You look fantastic and I love that dress and your fancy hair! Lucky you...Jared has been in New Orleans since Friday and Halle and I are sick. Congrats on your romantic evening out.

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

That's a great date idea, especially for Valentine's Day. You even got to dress up all fancy. :) I'm impressed that Shane went along with everything and even tried the ballroom dancing. Scott and I did have entertainment as well, like when Liz and Kaden tried to fit into the same tupperware box or when we watched Liz steal all the treats and run away crying because Kaden wanted a piece too. Someday she will learn how to share. Funny kids!

hoLLY said...

WOW! how fun! that would be awesome to go to!! glad you had a night to your selfs!!

Suzanna said...

You look so great! I never did see it all put together! Maybe next year we can go too...we'll see. Fun!

About Our Family