Wednesday, June 24, 2009

WORST Mom EVER in the history of time

I have friends (you know who you are) who think accidentally locking their kids in the car for ten minutes (in the nice, spring weather) makes them bad moms. For those of you who think you are bad moms, I am about to pull out the ultimate trump card. Last week I decided that Kaden's need for the binky was really just my need for peace and quite during sacrament meetings and a quick way for him to fall asleep at night. I weaned him off of binkies and he did fairly well, minus the fact that he would take about five minutes to cry (really just whine) himself to sleep. Well, last night I put Kaden in bed, then went straight to bed myself because it had been a really long day of Kaden acting so ornery! Later, a couple of minutes after Shane came to bed, I heard Kaden crying. I figured he had heard Shane walk by (our stupid old floors squeak RIGHT in front of his bedroom) and woke up wanting to get up and/or wanting his binky. I listened to him cry for a couple of minutes, then he stopped. I told myself if he woke up crying again, I would go in and cuddle him for a second rather than give him back the binky. Let me insert something here: we keep his door closed until the morning (around 7:00 we open it, then he will wake up between 7:30-7:45). If we don't close his door at nights, he wakes up at 5 AM and decides it's time to PLAY! Well, he didn't wake up again until 6:30 this morning. I heard him and saw the clock and decided he probably had a nightmare. When I opened his door I was hit by a wave of the most rancid smell possible. He was sitting up in bed, and one side of his bed was covered in throw up!! Pillow, blankets, Puppy, him...all covered! That's right....I made my toddler sleep in his own puke ALL NIGHT. I felt horrible! He had a fever so we gave him milk (like every other morning) and he promptly threw it up. Needless to say, I was more hesitant to give him milk the rest of the day. Anyway, after trips to the doctor and the hospital for tests, we are still at square one. Meaning all of the tests came back negative (so no Swine Flu-most likely). His fever broke about mid-day thanks to me hounding him with drugs every three hours. He didn't throw up again the rest of the day (yay!) and even insisted on drinking some milk in the evening. (Literally-insisted meaning he opened the fridge and said "Nah" to everything (Sprite and Gatorade-which is normally his favorite ever), then climbed up on the shelves to reach his milk that I hadn't offered. He kept it down, but I didn't pour him much just in case. I am sure he got sick of being followed around all day and hearing "PUKE BUCKET!" every time he made a coughing/gagging noise that preceded the first throw up scene this morning. Anyway, seriously, what kind of mom doesn't even check on their kid when he is crying?! I know I suck and I feel SO bad. I am leaving Kaden's door open from now on-no matter what.
P.S. I was telling the nurses (two women and one man) what I had done and was letting them know how awful of a parent I am in case they wanted to call the state or something on me, and the guy nurse said, "Y'know, if you were the ONLY mom who'd ever done that, then MAYBE you would be a bad mom....., but you are not even CLOSE!" It made me feel better for a half a second, then I thought about poor Kaden and his horrible mom who makes him sleep in puke.

4 comments:

The Boehme Family said...

If I were there, I would pat you on the arm and tell you that really, that's nothing horrible. It's been done before and will likely be done again, hopefully not by you. You can't jump out of bed at every whimper or most moms would never sleep. Have you not found your child's butt blistered because you didn't check on him in the middle of the night when he cried because, little did you know, he had pooped some very runny diarrhea in his diaper? Oh, and it was all over his pajamas and sheets and he slept in THAT all night? Well, my dear, you are a better mother than I.

Oh, wait, I mean, WHAT KIND OF MOTHER ARE YOU? There, that's what you were looking for, so there you go.

Emily, I'm sure you're reading this and yes, the butt blistering story is true and yes, I am the horrible mother.

Suzanna said...

You know, that is a great story...but I never check on McKayla if she stops crying. If it really bothered him he would have kept crying or kept waking up or something. It probably didn't even bother him that much. No worries, you are a great mom! I am sure you will laugh about this one day in the future...and it will probably be a story told many times. You know our family! Haha!

The Porter Family said...

Erin-you are so funny. :) You made me feel better with your own story-thanks. haha :) I still don't think you're a bad mom, though, just for that. P.S. I don't think M reads my blog...she never comments if she does. ;)
Suz-don't you dare bring this up anytime with family. Seriously-I am taller and bigger than you-I can squish you flat! :) I already have enough guilt without our gossipy family talking about it all the time.

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Sad... I hope he is feeling better now. Don't feel bad though, I probably would have done the same thing.

About Our Family