Friday, October 29, 2010

Weekend movie review

I frequently make fun of Shane for being such a techy nerd, but what I don't admit is what a movie nerd I am. My favorite movies are the classics. Not "classic" in the way Shane defines classic (to him "old" means anything from the early 90's), but real classics. I am slightly obsessed with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Their movie Swing Time from 1936 is my favorite movie ever.

Shane has a really hard time watching anything in black and white. And anything where the actors sing. And anything where the actors dance. And anything that isn't James Bond or Lord of the Rings. ;)

Anyway, I'm usually game to watch any movie-no matter when it was made or what genre it is (well, except Lord of the Rings....I have tried a couple times, but never manage to stay awake past the first ten minutes...), but the trick is getting me to like it enough to watch it over and over again.

I'm pretty picky. ;)

I saw a movie this past May that I really liked. Letters to Juliet. Have you seen it?


I really want to tell you about it, but just a warning, there might be spoilers here! I'll try really hard not to give anything away, though. :)

It came out on DVD last month and I won't admit to the number of times I've watched it since. ;) Especially in the last week or two. Shane has watched it once with me, and, surprisingly, liked it more than I thought he would. Don't get me wrong, he still rolled his eyes and mocked the movie, but his main argument with the movie was (very sarcastic) "Oooo....I wonder how it will end? Let me guess, they all live happily ever after, right?"

Well, DUH!

It's a CHICK. FLICK.

Of course there are cheesy lines and you can guess the ending.

But, really, couldn't that be said about ANY genre of movie? Shane likes his action movies, but I could say to that, "Let me guess, there's a big shootout and some explosions, and then good triumphs over evil?"

See my point?

Yes, you can guess the ending to Letters to Juliet, but it's the stuff in the middle that I enjoy the most. :)

In short, this girl goes to Verona (the buildings and scenery are GOR. GEOUS. I have added Verona to my vacation list.) and spends her whole vacation helping an older woman find her long lost "Romeo." There's a whole lot more to it than that, but that's the gist of it. :) I love fast, quick-witted banter and this movie is loaded with it. Not only between the two leads:
(He looks a bit femmy here, but I assure you he's a hottie with an accent.)

But also with the older woman, played by the fabulous Vanessa Redgrave. I sincerely hope I'm exactly like her when I'm a grandma. She's hysterical and if you need one reason to see this movie, she's it. Her one-liners are delivered with perfect comedic timing and (when I saw it in the theater with my girl friend) everyone was laughing. She's my favorite.

I also love the banter between the young leads. Maybe I just have a thing for British guys (who doesn't, right?), but this guy is funny. Shane totally related to him because the character is sarcastic and not a romantic, which leads to some pretty funny lines as well, even when it's supposed to be a tender moment.

The one issue I have with this movie is the very last line in it. It is hands down the cheesiest line I've ever heard in my life, but ignore that and the rest of the movie is worth watching. :)

Let me know if you watch it! (Or if you've seen it.) I would love to hear other opinions on it (good or bad). :D

Anyone else have any good movie suggestions?

2 comments:

Ludlows said...

I love love love that movie!

The Graves.... said...

I love that movie too! It's not your typical chick flick, until the end I guess. But I loved how it had a unique story!

About Our Family