Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ari's 4 month visit

Ari had her 4 month baby well check last night.  Here are her stats:

Height: 24 inches (50%)
Weight: 10 lbs 4 oz (50%)
Head: 16 inches (45%)

She's a perfectly proportioned little girl!  :D

While we were there, the doc was asking me how Kaden and Lexi are doing (this is why I love her-she remembers my millions of kids and little qualities about them....like how short Lexi is...hahaha).  I told her about how Lexi and Kaden had the flu a couple of weeks ago, and that I thought Ari had gotten a more mild version of it.  She asked what symptoms Ari had that made me believe that.  I told her that Ari had gotten a fever, but only for a day and now she was just crazy congested.

Doc looked over Ari and listened to her lungs two different times before she basically said that with how young Ari is, there is no such thing as a "mild" version of the flu.  If Ari gets the flu-we will know it.

She then told me that she thought Ari has RSV.

Yeah.  The worst three letters a parent can hear in a row.

I had apparently described RSV perfectly (fever for only a day, etc.), but not known it.  I felt horrible for not bringing Ari in sooner, but I really thought it was just a cold.  Ari was still happy and eating and that was all that mattered to me.

We determined that Ari is on her 5th day of it, which is normally the worst day and when babies are hospitalized.  Doc (and the nurses) were astounded that Ari was SO happy.  They said that she is hands down the happiest baby with RSV that they have ever seen.

That's my girl!  :D

We did a breathing treatment on her in the office and it made her cough which was what they wanted, so Doc said we have to do breathing treatments on her every 4 hours for the next 48 hours, then go back in so they can see if she is improving or not.

Doc said the only reason they weren't hospitalizing her right now was A) the fact that Ari was SO HAPPY (it means that the RSV isn't bothering her like it should) and B) Ari's oxygen levels were 99-which was crazy good for how bad her lungs were.  Doc actually handed me her stethoscope and said, "I want you to hear this."  She put the thing on her chest and took some deep breaths so I could hear what healthy lungs sound like, then put it on Ari's.
It was the saddest thing I have ever heard.

I'm not medically trained at all, but even I could hear just how bad it was.

Anyway, a guy came over a couple hours later and gave us the nebulizer machine.  Ari has been a little angel and is so, so patient.  She doesn't mind the breathing treatments at all and LOVES them when Kaden and Lexi make her laugh through it.  
(It lasts about 20 minutes and is just this mask I hold in front of her face so she can breathe in the mist.)

Her appointment is tomorrow evening (Thursday) and I'm really hoping and praying that she's improved!

I will keep everyone updated.

My happy, sick baby girl.
Oh, and P.S., Doc said she has no idea how Ari DIDN'T get the flu from Kaden and Lexi, but it's a miracle.  :)  Counting my blessings....

2 comments:

Emily Hurtado said...

Poor Ari. But about those stats...I'm pretty sure Eli is 12 pounds and 25 inches. My child is huge! How did I end up with a monster after having such a tiny goober Halle?

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Wow, she really is perfectly proportioned! I can't believe she has RSV and that she is so happy. What an angel! We hope she gets better soon. We will have to get together once everyone is better.

About Our Family