Friday, December 12, 2008

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!

This post may contain way TMI for some of you, so feel free to skip it if you don't like pregnancy talk. :) Everyone is astounded that I have made it this far along. This last Monday, I started having really bad constant lower back pain. After a couple of hours of this, I couldn't handle it anymore and tried calling the hospital to see what the nurses there thought I should do. Well, lucky me, it was after hours so no one answered! I called my midwife, Kathy, but she didn't answer (I found out later she was delivering....). So, next I consulted with those experts who have had kids before me (meaning my friends and sisters) who all said it was time to go in. One, who will remain nameless, even scared the crap out of me by saying that her friends who have had that pain in the back ignored it, then when they finally went in, they were dilated to an 8 and had the baby very shortly after!! I was a bit panicked and Shane wasn't doing any better than me (although he was more excited, I think). Anyway, to make a long story short, we went in to labor and delivery (L&D) where they said I was dilated to a 4 and 70% effaced. They talked to my midwife who said to have me walk around McKay Dee for an HOUR and see if any progress happens. Shane and I walked and walked and walked...if you ever need help finding anything at McKay, call us and we can point you in the right direction. :) We went back to L&D where now I was still a 4 and 70%, BUT my water was "bulging." For this reason alone, they kept us another hour so they could monitor my now stronger contractions and make sure my water didn't break on the way home. An hour later, no change, so they sent me home, but kept saying that I would be back later that night or the next day because there was NO WAY I would make it to my next doctor's appointment on Wednesday. (big, sarcastic eye roll here) SO, at my appointment on Wednesday (the one that there was NO WAY I would make it to...) my midwife was shocked to see me and said that she was sure I would have delivered on Monday. She told me that she would strip my membranes, though, to help things along. I thought, "GREAT!" then, "Crap! I have heard that kills!" I didn't care, though, because I am SO done with being a whale. Kathy came in and checked me and said that I am now dilated to a 5 and 70% effaced--still with my water bulging!! She had no idea why I was not having contractions and/or my water hadn't broken yet. I asked if she was still going to strip my membranes and she said that she can't now because I am at a 5!! (I think she explained it was because I am Strep B positive with this pregnancy and it is illegal for her to do anything she KNOWS would break my water before 39 weeks or she could have her license suspended for a month....). LAME! She was absolutely positive that my water would break as she was stripping my membranes (eww! she said it wouldn't be the first time it has happened on her, though). So, she told me to hang in there and she will be surprised if I make it to my inducement date next Wednesday. WELL, it is now FRIDAY and NOTHING IS HAPPENING!! My mom asked me what is keeping the baby in...lol. I don't know!! Shane, by the way, has been anxious through all of this (to say the least). He calls me every hour (no joke) from work asking if my contractions have started or my water broken yet. Apparently he thinks I will forget to call him....lol. He also has been making me do everything possible to induce labor (none of which work)....this morning he made me jump on our mini-trampoline for 5 minutes-trying to make my water break from the force! :D Men... So, that is the latest update on me. At this point, it feels hopeless and I will just have to wait until next Wednesday to be induced. I am most worried that I will not have time to make it to the hospital and get an epidural before Alexandria makes her big debut. I NEED DRUGS!! My midwife told me to call her the MINUTE my water breaks so that she can meet me at the hospital or else she might not make it in time for the delivery. All along I have actually wanted Alexandria to come tomorrow (12/13/08), and maybe now I will see that she was listening to me! :) Any ideas for inducing labor (besides the usual: walking, sex, feet rubs, back rubs.....)??

6 comments:

Pearce Family said...

I don't have any ideas for getting her here except the ones that you mentioned. But good luck with everything. I hope it all goes well and you get to the hospital in time and that you can get the drugs.

Ludlows said...

Good luck, I hope that the delivery goes well and very easy for you!

Jamee said...

Just say you don't want her to come today and she will. That is what happened to me!! Good luck!!

The Boehme Family said...

Nipple stimulation - everyone told me that while I was waiting to have the 2nd, but I was in Utah and Doug was in Idaho and I wasn't about to do that to MYSELF. That's just not my job. Water bulging = uncomfortable.

Stripping membranes HURTS and just causes bad contractions that don't really get you anywhere (at least from my experience). Being Strep +, you need that penicillin or they just end up torturing your baby with drugs and drops and tests.

I'll be thinking about you! Good luck. Hey, no matter what you will have another tax exemption this year!

Jorgensen Bunch said...

I know you just barely had her but get the camera going so we can see her! Anyway, get some rest. Don't forget Ice and Heat packs for the engorgement. I promise it works if you do it consistently! Sorry I couldn't make it up today:( Blame it on the snow.

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Umm I think it is time for an important update. Bring on the cute pictures.

About Our Family