Thursday, March 3, 2011

Part 1 of the remodel

I'm not sure how many parts there will be, but here's the first one!  :)

Sorry it's taken me a while to get it posted.  
Been super-dee-duper busy.

We are calling this remodel
"Why the heck didn't we do this two years ago??"

So, here we go:

On a home as old as ours (1962), there is a LOT I wanted to fix.  BUT since we are planning on moving out, we decided to get down to basics and just do what we think will help sell the house faster.  :)

Anyway, enjoy the crappy phone pics mixed in with the normal camera pics.  :)

A while ago we got a new (working!) ceiling fan for the front room.  There are ceiling fans in almost every room in the house because there is no A/C whatsoever.

The old fan.  Look at that beauty.  And she didn't even spin.
Up close and personal with the blade of beauty.
Ever since we had moved in, I begged Shane to replace it.  I was SO happy to get this:

Sorry for the dark night picture, but you can still see her beauty.
I LOVE the darker color with the brushed nickel!  So pretty....*sigh*
 Not only is she beautiful, she actually WORKS!  :D  WOO!

We also replaced the blinds. 

Before:
The kids loved running through them and knocking them down ALL. DAY. LONG.
Blinds are expensive!  Especially when you have a crazy big front window like ours.  In order to get one, big thing of blinds that would cover the whole front window, it would cost almost as much as our mortgage (because it would have to be custom made).  We decided to do this instead:

So white and pretty.  :)
And the side window of course got some matching ones, too:


The previous idiot owners didn't know what they were doing.  I mean, AT ALL.  They put these boxes up by every window to help attach a curtain rod:


On the larger windows throughout the house, there were three boxes.  On the smaller windows, there were just the two end pieces like this one.  I didn't like them from the day we moved in, but thought maybe they HAD to be there for something.  After a year, I realized they held NO purpose.  At this point I was just hoping they would come out easily and without damaging the wall too much.


Yup-that's it!  Three little bitty nails-not even any liquid nails or anything!  
Awesome!!
We ripped those out all around the house and patched up the holes and painted!  I didn't take any after pictures because....well, it would have been a picture of a wall.  

Soooo exciting.

But you can see in the after picture up above with the new blinds that there are no white boxes.  :)


More recently....
I wanted to replace all of the doors inside the house, but there are seven and it would have cost a BUTT LOAD of money. (and been a huge headache)  Shane suggested we paint them.  

And by "we" he meant me, of course.

The normal doors next to the one with one coat of paint.
I bargained with him and said that we needed new handles and hinges because the ugly brass would clash with the pretty white doors.  :)

Oh and, P.S., if you ever decide to paint your doors, DON'T just do two coats of paint and call it good because it WILL rip off in spots where the door touches the wall and you'll have to sand it down and prime and paint it again.  SO, ALWAYS prime!!  I didn't and definitely wish I would have.

I wanted to paint the door frames, then quickly realized I would have to paint ALL the baseboards, too.  Ugh-more work.

All in one shot, here's the before and after:

Before= on the right, After=on the left

Can you see the difference?

I used (and am using) the same paint all over the house.  I'll have to look up the name of it, but I call it marshmallow fluff.  It really reminded me of that when I popped open the paint lid.  :) 
Why don't people hire me to name paint colors??

So every inch of baseboards got painted and I had to HURRY before the new CARPET went in!!  :D

If you ever, ever, EVER need new carpet (or any other flooring), go to Ogden Carpet Outlet and ask for Chris.  He's the owner and our friend's cousin.  He is AWESOME and we'll never go anywhere else for our flooring.  ;)

I won't post every room, but here's our room before:


And after:


I am soooo over hardwood.

We took the closet doors down to make it easier for the installers and I thought it would be a good chance to show you my craziness:

Obviously I have the larger part of the closet, but some people think I'm kinda crazy with how organized my clothes are. 
Pants (jeans and then the slacks)
Skirts (short to long)
Nice shirts (color coded and they are hung from short to long sleeves)
T-shirts (also color coded)
Robes (that I never wear and are collecting dust)

A bit crazy?  Totally.

Shane used to laugh at me when we first got married, but now that I do his laundry, his shirts have strangely become more and more color coded.....hahaha.  :D

Back to the carpet...
We had carpet put in the hallway two years ago and, even ordering the exact same carpet, were told that you'll never get the exact same color each time.  They get as close as they can, but it varies.  Here was the difference:

Our room to the hallway.
Surprisingly, it was Shane who couldn't handle the difference (I was like, "Oh, just leave it-who cares?!"  He did.).  We called Chris (who felt really bad that the colors were so different....yeah, like it's his fault) and they took out the two year old carpet and put the new stuff down so it ALL matches.  Shane can now breathe easier.  ;)  Again, no after picture because it would just be a picture of carpet.  Yay.

I was amazed at how much of a difference two years could make on the padding.  Our hallway is so soft again.  :)

And just some afters:

Lexi's room
Kaden's room....with puppy all tucked in  :)
We've gotten some stuff done in the bathroom, too, but I decided to wait and do one BIG reveal with that.  :)  I'm SOOOO EXCITED for that room!!!  YAY! 
It's almost done.  I won't keep you waiting too long.

3 comments:

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Beautiful! That looks like so much work though. You are way more motivated than me when it comes to remodeling. The carpet really changes the look of the house. I can't wait to see it in person.

Jamee said...

looks geat. Now you're not going to want to move.

Mackenzie Bailey said...

Wow that's amazing how different everything looks! Are the kids downstairs now or is Ari in your room and Lexi in the old office? Sorry - haven't been to your place for a bit:)

About Our Family