Monday, September 6, 2010

Pregnancy brain

It's not just a myth, pregnancy brain is FOR. REAL.

Shane thinks it's hilarious. Especially since it's gotten worse with each baby. A couple of months ago, I was telling him a story, but right in the middle it reminded me of something else, so I started telling him about the other thing. He was laughing so hard and said that he'd never seen someone interrupt themselves.

There have been multiple times when Shane and I are in the middle of a conversation and I completely forget what we are talking about. Again, lucky for him, Shane thinks it's completely hilarious.

But the mother of all pregnancy brain stories happened last Thursday (the 2nd).

We got a text late Wednesday night from Shane's mom that I didn't get until the next morning (since I go to bed extremely early...). So, Thursday morning, I checked my phone and read a text from her that let us know his Aunt Beth had died and her viewing was that night. Shane got up a little while later and came in the living room. I immediately let him know about the text and told him his Aunt Bonnie had died.

He was so sad. Bonnie is his grandma's sister and only 70 years old. I told him he should call his grandma during his lunch break and see how she's doing. He readily agreed.

A couple of hours later, I was emailing his mom to let her know we had a wedding to go to and couldn't make it to the viewing. I double-checked the text and all of a sudden, saw the name Beth and not Bonnie. I reread the text several times with one thought:

"Who the heck is Beth?!"


I realized my mistake, though, and tried calling Shane immediately. His company had just gotten a new phone system in and were still working out the bugs. I couldn't reach him. It was 11:30. He was about to go on break and call his grandma to tell her he was sorry her sister had died!!

I tried emailing him, but he rarely ever checks it at work. The phones were still not letting me through, so I just prayed that he would get the email....and if he didn't, that his grandma wouldn't have a heart attack.

Around 12:30, the phone systems were back, but it went straight to his voice mail since he was gone at lunch. AHHH!!

I kept picturing his grandma's reaction to the news about her sister. CRAP!

I was actually laughing pretty hard at myself. I thought the whole thing was funny, although notsomuch for Beth. I texted Shane's mom and told her what I did and asked who Beth was. She, too, thought it was funny and told me that Beth was in her 80's and very sick and was the last surviving Porter sibling of Shane's grandpa (who passed away in 2004).

Bonnie is on Shane's MOM'S side of the family!

At 1:01, I called Shane who FINALLY answered. I didn't even say hello, I just quickly asked if he had called his grandma. He said no, he hadn't had time. YAY! I told him what had happened. After he got it straight in his head "So Bonnie isn't dead?" he pretty much thought it was the funniest thing EVER. I bet he cried he was laughing so hard. His response to the whole thing? "Well, that's very good news for Bonnie!" HAHAHA

After work, we were talking about Beth and I told him I had no idea who she was. He told me that I met her once, in 2004 when we were dating, for a couple of minutes at Home Town Buffet when his entire family was there. Since I don't even remember going to Home Town Buffet with Shane, chances are that I won't remember Aunt Beth. But I'm sure she was super nice.

3 comments:

Christy said...

haha Loretta you are so cute!!

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

You're so funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Erin said...

Oh man! Yeah Aunt Beth was super nice - a sweetie, but she was ready to go. (Jorge couldn't remember her either) I don't know his Aunt Bonnie but I am glad it was Beth and not her, it makes a world of difference when you are ready! Cute story! I miss my brain too :)

About Our Family