Monday, December 12, 2011

Lexi's 3rd birthday!

Today is Lexi's 3rd birthday!!

Let's just be honest here for a minute--I'm kind of surprised we haven't given her away yet!  The older she gets, the less of a trouble-maker she is (although the DRAMA never ends), so I think we'll keep her.

We had her birthday party this past Saturday and she finally decided on a princess theme (it was between that or Tinkerbell).

I should start by explaining about the cake.  I posted on Facebook that it was a disaster, so I had to start all over.  Here is why:  I wanted to do this cake, but in pink:


When my sister got married last April, I did over 100 cupcakes with a rose like this on them, so I thought, "No big deal!  Same concept, just on a cake!"

Dun, dun, duuuun....

After the birthday girl helped mix things up:


We cooked the cake and let it cool.  I waited until after the kids were in bed (this was Friday-the night before the party which started at 10:00 AM) to work on frosting it.  I knew it would be easier to concentrate without three little people crowding me and asking nonstop questions.  ;)  Anyway, here was the sad, pathetic result:


Feel free to laugh-I know I did.

There were a lot of issues with it, but the main ones were 1) I ran out of frosting and knew there was no way I could get the exact same color if I mixed some more up (and, yes, that would bother me to no end to not have everything matching), 2) I didn't think about the fact that the food coloring would make the frosting thinner and therefore impossible to get the right flower shape without adding even more frosting to thicken things up, and 3) I spent so long holding the dang frosting bag trying to make it all work, it warmed the frosting up, which made it even MORE thin.  It was basically a ticking time bomb.  I put it in the fridge while I thought things over and ultimately decided that I might as well smooth it all out and see what else I can come up with.  Lexi's invitation had a crown on it, so I went with that theme: 

You know you're jealous of my mad skillz.

I did crowns and then 3's all the way around the side.
I know it's sad.  But I'll make it up to her next year...when I PAY someone else to make a cute one!

Anyway, on to the party!

Since it was between meals, we just did fingers foods, which worked out great.  After everyone munched for a bit, Lexi opened her presents.

Lexi opened this and saw it was a princess dress.  She immediately stood up and starting stripping.  This is half a second before she ripped her skirt off.  I was laughing so hard, but made her keep her clothes on and finish opening her presents.
Another princess dress!  Again, she started stripping.  hahahahahaha
This was a Rupunzel doll with a dress that fit Lexi.  I stood in line at Target on Black Thursday Friday freezing my butt off for two hours, so that's why my face looks the way it does here.  ;)
Shane's parents got Lexi a pink scooter!  Yay!  No more fighting over Kaden's blue one!
After presents (all of which Lexi adored), we did the cake and ice cream.  I can't find the picture someone else took of her blowing out her candles, but it was funny because we were only half way through the "Happy Birthday" song when she just starting blowing the candles out.  She's so funny!

Enjoying her cupcake!
Yummmm....
 Everyone who attended:

From L to R: My mom's husband, Kent, my mom, my Aunt Karen (one of my dad's two sisters (the other one passed away this past year, but they weren't close) who happened to be in town!), and my Grandma and Grandpa Ozminski (my mom's dad and step-mom).
L to R: Shane's 15 year old brother, Nathan, Shane's mom-Karen, Shane's dad, Rod, holding Ryley, Valerie and Bryan (Shane's sister and bro-in-law....and also Ryley's parents), and then Kent again on the far side.
L to R: Shane's sister, Janelle, another sister, Breanne (who, btw, had her wisdom teeth out the DAY before, but insisted on coming-poor thing...her face was so swollen), Heidi (my dad's current wife), and my dad.
Lexi finally got to wear one of her new dresses!  :)  She refused to take it off for the rest of the day.  That is her second cousin, Sophia, next to her (my Aunt Karen brought her).

It was a really fun party and Lexi had a blast!

I'll post about the rest of our busy day in a couple of hours.  :)  I have a lot of catching up to do!

1 comment:

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Ahhh, she is a beautiful princess. She must be loving all the dresses. So I'm pretty sure I would have been proud of myself if I had made the rose cake that you did. :)

About Our Family