Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Ultrasound pics

We have been rearranging our house lately and moved the computer and printer to a new area. During that process (which Shane did by himself since I shouldn't be helping), Shane lost the cord that connects our printer/scanner/copier to the computer. Nice. I have no idea where it is, and it's so frustrating when I need to print/scan things. ANYWAY....

I had a second 4-D ultrasound on July 20th (they wanted to check on my amniotic fluid level again...and it went up! WOO!) and that time we actually got some decent shots of Ariana! :) Since I can't scan them, I took a picture with my phone. Good luck trying to make sense of them. :)

On the left is the uterus (sorry-gross), and you can see some of her face on the right. Her left eye, half of her nose, and her big, full lips! (THANK YOU SHANE!)

Her eye looks totally creepy in this pic, but she was puckering up those beautiful lips of hers. Seriously-I married Shane so that he could give me kids with full lips and/or curly hair. (Plus he doesn't like tomatoes, either. Man of my dreams!)

Ok, this one is a bit harder. She is showing off her guns here. Towards the right is her shoulder/bicep and then her arm is coming up (her hands are curled until her chin). See what I am talking about?

This one isn't 4-D, but it's a really cute shot of her foot. Can you see it? Towards the top right side....

I had another appointment yesterday (every two weeks now-YAY!) and Ariana looks healthy and is around 3 1/2 lbs. Kathy (my midwife) came in and told me that during the last 4-D ultrasound, they found out that the umbilical cord only has one artery instead of the normal two. I was completely confused so Kathy explained that cords normally have two arteries and one vein. Sometimes, though, they will only have the one vein and one artery-like mine. She said that normally this means that the baby has some sort of defect.

And she DOESN'T want me to stress out during this pregnancy?!?!

Kathy said that they have run all the tests, though, and everything has come back completely normal and hasn't detected anything wrong with Ari. Ari is still gaining weight like she should be, which is a great sign. So, Kathy isn't worried about Ariana having health issues.

That makes one of us.

BUT, this also means that the chance for preterm labor just went up............a lot. Especially where you combine that and my low fluid level. So, we are keeping a close watch for any warning signs of preterm labor. And by "we" I mean Kathy. All I can do is sit at home and take it easy (and worry-even though that doesn't help anything). A big problem would be if Ari stops gaining weight. That would mean that my placenta has matured past the point of being able to support her, and they would need to get her out immediately.
Kathy said a lot of the time when women have SUA (single umbilical artery), the babies are born about a month early (at 36 weeks). I told her that is the weekend of Kaden's birthday and birthday party, so that won't work for me. I'm pretty sure she thinks I should have learned back in February (when I found out I was preggo) that I am not always in control of everything like I would like to think. :)

P.S. I told Shane that we need to make sure that Ari is gaining weight, but don't tell him that Oreo's don't necessarily help....um-kay? :D

3 comments:

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

I'm glad to hear that Arianna is looking good and growing well even with all the other complications. I had never heard of SUA before. Those are some cute ultrasound pictures. I always love the foot shots.

Mackenzie Bailey said...

4D ultrasounds are so great...and she does have great lips! I'm sure Ariana is doing fine and will keep growing. They always seem to beat the odds; especially this one:)

Shea Nicole said...

Everything is going great, and you KNOW heavenly father has a special eye out for Ari. Hang in there, and rest the best you can. You're AMAZING! xoxo (let me know if you need anything, and pick out some fabric so I can get your curtains done before winter) xoxo

About Our Family