Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Surgery

Kaden had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy on Monday, August 23rd. The poor kid inherited my golf-ball sized tonsils (literally) and was having issues breathing at night. I was 15 years old before my parents FINALLY had mine taken out (even though I was getting strep twice a month since I was 7), so I understood the whole surgery thing (plus I'd had two previous surgeries anyway). I was more than a little worried about how Kaden, my almost-3-year-old, would handle it. We tried explaining it to him, but how do you explain "surgery" to a toddler? He got a blessing and I wasn't worried about the actual surgery (am I a bad mom for that?)-I've had way too many myself to worry about that, but I was REALLY worried about the recovery part. So, here we go....

We got Kaden up at 6:30 AM and gave him Pedialyte (he could drink either that, water, or Sprite until 7:00). We left at 7:00 and headed to Salt Lake for Primary Children's hospital.

Kaden got a new toy to distract him from wanting cereal, but he was too tired to care.

We got checked in and Kaden got to play in the play area while we waited for his vitals to get taken.

After they took his vitals (he's 32 1/2 lbs, by the way!! Well, at least he was. I'm sure he's lost weight since then) we had to dress him in little hospital jammies. He was VERY upset about that, but only because he had to take his soccer ball shirt off. :) Kaden has been obsessed with clocks lately (I have no idea why) so I got him a new puzzle-clock and it was worth every penny.

After he was dressed, we moved to another waiting area where Kaden got to play with even more toys. This kid was in heaven.

He fought against those socks so hard, then he was so protective of them when they started slipping off. "MY SOCKS! MY SOCKS!!" haha

The anesthesiologist came out and talked to us and asked if we would prefer that he gave Kaden a mild sedative before they took him back. He said that it wouldn't knock Kaden out, but it would relax him so much that he wouldn't care at all that we didn't go in the OR with him. I was all over that. I had been picturing Kaden screaming and crying for me as they wheeled him off in the fun wagon. They gave him the drugs (they said it's comparative to giving an adult Valium) and 10 minutes later he was SOOOO relaxed in the wagon. It was HILARIOUS! And Kaden couldn't have cared less that we didn't go into surgery with him. Awesome!

We were directed to the family waiting room and told the doctor would meet with us there after the surgery was done in 30-45 minutes. While waiting, I saw this and thought it was ironic/funny:

Can you read it?
Michael Jackson is working at Primary CHILDREN'S hospital. Oh well, at least I was amused. ;)

About 20 minutes later, the doctor came in and said that everything went fantastic and Kaden was still coming out of the anesthesia. He said that they would let us know when one of us could go back to him, then the other one of us could join sometime after that. The LONGEST 15 minutes later (remember this was the part I was worried about...), we were told that one of us could go see him. Shane did his best to keep a straight face when he looked at me and said, "So, you want me to go back first?"

LET ME SEE MY BABY!!

I went back and it was the most sad sight a mother could ever see. Kaden was still SOOO drugged and the nurse said that he would gain consciousness for a second, then stop breathing and go back to sleep while they put an oxygen mask on him. They had taken off the shirt part of his hospital jammies so that they could monitor him better with his low oxygen. As soon as he heard my voice, he tried SO hard to open his eyes and just starting BAWLING. It was such a sad little cry since his throat was raw. I was with him there for a few minutes, then they decided he was fine to move to a different recovery room. After we were there, they called Shane back.

The new nurse in the new recovery room observed Kaden and said that he was most likely in a lot of pain and that is why he was passing out after gaining consciousness. The angel brought us Lortab (why didn't the other nurse do that?!) and it helped SO much!!

Kaden had a TV above his bed and between that and the Sprite (and the Lortab), he was content after not too long. We were there for about an hour before they decided Kaden was okay to go home. The nurse came by to give us the discharge papers/instructions and I was sitting in a rocking chair listening to her when all of a sudden I passed out.

I have NO idea why. Shane was convinced it was my blood sugar, but I don't think so. I thought it was funny (later) because Shane said that right when I passed out, Kaden starting crying again and needed the oxygen mask. So Shane was freaking out trying to help us both. haha Anyway, the nurse brought me Sprite and cheese and crackers and I am alive. :)

Shane drove home (he didn't trust me not to pass out) while I sat in the back with Kaden and a puke bucket (for both of us, although neither of us needed it). :)

We got home and Kaden took a nap. He got more Lortab when he woke up and, while he wasn't happy, he was better than at the hospital.

That first day wasn't too bad since he still had the anesthesia in his system, but Days 2 and 3 I would rather forget. Kaden HATED taking medicine (he was on both Lortab and Ammoxicillian) and would pass out when he saw me coming with the syringes (he held his breath). Shane had to come home from work on those days to help give Kaden drugs (we had to time it just right with his breaks). Lots of fun.

Day 4 was 100 times better than Day 3. Kaden would still whine about taking medicine, but not pass out. After a few days, he started asking if Lexi could take his medicine. haha Today is actually the first day in over a week where Kaden hasn't had ANY medicine!! Every now and then he will say, "My hurt" and point to his neck, but if he keeps talking and eating after saying that, we just ignore it. It's hard since we can't figure out exactly how much pain he is in. Everything just "hurts."

All in all, though, it really hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I thought it would be DAYS before he could talk (he knows more than enough sign language to get by, but I was still worried) and instead he was talking immediately out of surgery. I thought he would STARVE for at least a week since all he eats is cereal and crackers, but he was back to cereal on day 3 and is completely back to his normal diet already. I do know that he lost weight since his pants are falling off and they fit perfectly before, but hopefully he will gain it back quickly.

Lexi has had to suffer through and eat all the pudding, Go-Gurts, and Otter Pops we bought for Kaden since he wouldn't touch them.

Sometimes ya just gotta take one for the team, y'know? ;)

Kaden is feeling MUCH better and is back to his normal self....running around and playing with Lexi. His voice did change (which they said would happen and will last 3-4 months). It is higher now and some of what he says sounds really funny. But we are happy to have gotten this taken care of now (and BEFORE Ari comes) and happy that our little man is doing so well.

P.S. There was a little boy Kaden played with in one of the waiting rooms who is turning 4 in December. Kaden was at least 2 inches taller than him and the kids' mom was super shocked that Kaden isn't even 3 yet. :)

1 comment:

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Yay! It's all done and the worst is over. I can just picture Shane's face when Kaden needed oxygen and you passed out. :) Did they give him anything at the hospital to take home (blanket, stuffed animal, etc)?

About Our Family